The BIS History Committee is organising a tour of the RAF Spadeadam facility near Carlilsle on Tuesday 27th June. The event starts in the Premier Inn (Carlisle Central) Hotel, Warwick Road, Carlisle, CA1 2WF (Tel : 0871-527 8210) around 3pm on Monday 26th June in the hotel reception.
That evening, Alan Bond, FBIS, will give an informal history of Blue Streak and RAF Spadeadam after dinner. The next day, we will depart by coach for Spadeadam for a tour of the facilities by RAF staff, with a general discussion on the visit that evening after dinner. Note that we expect to be back in Carlisle after the trip around 2pm and a late lunch will be self organised and self funded. The RAF base are unable to sell any refreshments so please arrange your own for the coach journey if required. The event will finish at checkout after breakfast in the hotel on Wednesday 28th June.
We expect the total cost to be around £280 and this includes:
- 2 nights’ accommodation in the hotel
- Dinner Mon 26th and Tues 27th
- Breakfast Tues 27th and Wed 28th
- Return coach transport from the hotel to RAF Spadeadam. Please note it does NOT include transport to the hotel; you are responsible for your own travel arrangements getting to the hotel in Carlisle and back.
- Insurance in case the RAF or the BIS need to cancel the trip.
- Donation to the RAF Benevolent Fund for the RAF staff help during the visit.
To confirm the hotel and coach booking, we must have exact numbers; the final cost will be determined once we know how many participants we have.
We have now closed taking any more bookings but if you would still like to go, please call the BIS office on 0207 735 3160 to see if you can be added to the waiting list.
For those who have paid the £50 deposit, we will contact you in the coming weeks to pay the balance (normally due by 25th April).
Visiting RAF Spadeadam
- We must stress that RAF Spadeadam is an active RAF station, and the visit depends on the RAF Station Commander decision and on the current military situation at the time!
- The RAF requires us to provide them with a list of visitors’ names and addresses well before the actual trip.
- Be advised that you may need a photo-ID (valid photo driver’s licence or passport) to enter the RAF station.
- The RAF Spadeadam official advice for visitors to the station can be found here. Please note that taking photographs during the visit is allowed at RAF staff discretion. Please also disregard the paragraph about providing names and addresses, as this will be coordinated here at HQ.
With Best Regards,
Martin Postranecky FBIS
BIS History Committee