The Heritage Committee works to ensure that the Society’s Archives, Library, photo library, paintings, and other heritage assets are well preserved for the Society and the public good. They are responsible for seeking funding opportunities, looking for new ways to make the collections accessible, and the promotion of the Library and Archives as a member benefit.
Bob Parkinson, John Becklake
The Heritage Committee functions and delegations are:
- Ensure that the Society’s Archives, Library, photo library, paintings, and other heritage assets are well preserved for the Society and the public good.
- Identify, consider and work with staff to bid for funding opportunities for the preservation of the above.
- Identify, consider and work with staff to identify commercial opportunities relating to all heritage assets, but especially photographic imagery and the R.A. Smith Collection, without the sale of originals.
- Promote the Society’s Library and Archives, both to the membership as a member benefit, and for the benefit of public education.
- Work with staff to achieve the aims of digitising the heritage collection.
- Work with staff to initiate projects to record past events and activities of the Society, especially those which can inform the future of the Society.
- Prepare short biographies and obituaries on past and present BIS members and fellows, and eminent space exploration experts, for internal and external media.
- Receive reports of the Library Working Group.