The British Interplanetary Society

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the BIS forums.
Jast added - Project KickSat

Author Topic: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress  (Read 77 times)

LesShoulder

• Administrator
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
« on: September 08, 2019, 02:12:39 PM »

The failure of the Indian Moon lander probe following a short time after the Israeli failure brings back the reality of just how hard the science of space is. With the U.S. seemingly increasing the pace of their own return to the Moon the Chinese ploughing their own course and a whole spectrum of private initiative projects Luna bound, does the space savvy people who hopefully will read this fully understand that the majority of people think it is a "Done Deal" a case of if we did it once how hard can it be? and any failure by what they think of as the major players will have enormous repercussions on the whole future of humans in space, it is not like a computer game or a Hollywood blockbuster and that the threat to life and limb is frightenly real?

PatrickMahon

• Approved member
Re: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 05:50:35 PM »

One of the things I'd be interested in is finding out more about the detailed technical reasons behind these various failures, as opposed to the guesswork that generally appears in the media immediately after a failure. I presume that all such projects do a full failure analysis after a catastrophic event - although they may not all publish them?

Can anyone point me in the direction of any such publicly available failure analyses? I did find the one on Beagle 2 a few years back, and found that both fascinating and highly educational.