For World Space Week, The West Midlands Branch Presents:
The West Midlands Space Cluster Development: Business Case Report by Dr Chloe Billing
This project has been funded by the UK Space Agency to support the development of a local space cluster in the West Midlands.
The project will:
- Map the regional space activities in industry, academia and beyond
- Develop a vision for how the region could become a major player in space industry – identify the regional specialisms and networking opportunities
- Assess the opportunities for the regional supply chain to join these developments and hence the growth potential for the region
The research aims to support the development of an early-stage local space cluster in the West Midlands. The project objectives are to deliver:
- A detailed understanding of its current space sector strengths, underpinning assets, market opportunities and local priorities
- A clear strategy and plan for how its space potential can be realised – including what support, guidance and investment is required
- Insight into how a West Midlands space cluster could participate in and contribute to a nationally linked network of Space clusters and hubs to benefit the whole of the UK.
Since taking up the post of Research Fellow at the University of Birmingham, Business School, City-REDI, Chloe’s growing research experience and scholarship has enabled her to build a reputation as an Economic Geography researcher, focusing on firm-level competitiveness, commercialisation, innovation, technology and skills. Chloe has particular expertise and interest in the Space Sector (building on her PhD research) and in regional productivity.
Chloe has both initiated her own research projects and has worked as a member of several project teams with different researchers within and outside City-REDI. She recently led a UK Space Agency Funded project to support the development of an early stage local space cluster in the West Midlands. This was a cross-college project (EPS and COSS), aimed at providing insight into how a West Midlands space cluster could participate in and contribute to a nationally linked network of Space clusters and hubs to benefit the whole of the UK.
- 13:55 – The meeting is available to join
- 14:00 – Welcome
- 14:05 – The West Midlands Space Cluster Development: Business Case Report by Dr Chloe Billing
- 14:35 – Questions and Answers (we enable everyone’s microphone to allow an interactive Q&A session)
So, here’s the Plan/Joining Instructions!
- Register for the Talk using the link below
- Link TBA
- Before the event, we will send you an email with the joining link for the meeting.
- On the day, click meeting link (and follow the on-screen instructions to install Zoom if prompted)
The Conference Call and Q & A sessions will be recorded (which may capture your name, picture, voice or video) and made available via the West Midlands Facebook group and possibly via the BIS HQ website. You consent to this by registering for the Conference Call/Q & A sessions.