The West Midlands Branch Presents
Building the UK’s first Commercial Vertical Spaceport by Scott Hammond
Speaker: Scott Hammond
Date: Saturday 8th May 2021
Start Time: 14:00
End Time: 15:15
Venue: Via Zoom
Speaker – Scott Hammond
Building the UK’s first Commercial Vertical Spaceport
Shetland Space Centre (SSC) is based on the island of Unst, the most northerly part of the UK and a former RAF base. Shetland benefits from direct trajectories to polar and sun synchronous orbits and has a mature supply chain established to support the Oil industry. SSC is developing a generic spaceport that will be run on the same basis as an airport, this means that where possible the rocket companies will share infrastructure. SSC is the launch site selected for the UKSA’s Pathfinder launch in early 2022 and have been working closely with Lockheed Martin.
Scott Hammond Director and COO
Scott is the Operations Director for the Shetland Space Centre (SSC) and is leading the development of the Spaceport. He is a former RAF pilot and as a Qualified Weapons Instructor was heavily involved in missile and weapon development programmes. Before joining the RAF he worked as a surveyor in the City of London. He has also worked in the Oil industry as an expert on command and control systems, travelling the globe to support drilling campaigns.
• 13:55 – The meeting is available to join
• 14:00 – Welcome
• 14:05- Building the UK’s first Commercial Vertical Spaceport by Scott Hammond
• 14:35 – Questions and Answers (we enable everyone’s microphone to allow an interactive Q&A session)
So, here’s the Plan/Joining Instructions!
1. Register for the Talk using the link below
3. Before the event, we will send you an email with the joining link for the meeting.
4. On the day, click meeting link (and follow the on-screen instructions to install Zoom if prompted)
The Conference Call and Q & A sessions will be recorded (which may capture your name, picture, voice or video) and made available via the West Midlands Facebook group and possibly via the BIS HQ website. You consent to this by registering for the Conference Call/Q & A sessions.