The story of a regular girl, who loved watching the Moon from her window, coming from a very ordinary Italian family. Excellent in STEM disciplines, but never the first of the class. Nothing special: no space camps as a child, no violin classes, not a chess champion, and not even too good in sports. A boring geek? Maybe. But she has one big fat strength: passion. And sometimes passion can be a superpower. It can transform the little girl who loved watching the Moon into a student who teaches kids how to land on the Moon with a simulator. And when you are dedicated enough and take advantage of some good opportunities, passion can turn the student into a woman who manages two of the key lunar projects of an Italian aerospace Company.
Francesca Ingiosi spends part of her childhood in Minnesota. Here she has her first encounter with space, when Karen Nyberg, former NASA astronaut from Minnesota, is selected for her first mission, and Francesca starts to fantasize that one day she might be just like her. She becomes a British Interplanetary Society member in 2015 while studying aerospace engineering at Sapienza University of Rome, contributing to the organization of high-level educational events for the association.
In 2018 she begins an internship in Argotec Srl in Turin for her master thesis, designing a payload for the International Space Station. Starting from the very bottom, she moves up in the company, and in 2020 she becomes Project Manager for two of Argotec’s flagship programs: ArgoMoon, a microsatellite that will fly with Artemis-1, and ANDROMEDA, a lunar constellation that will provide communicationservice around the Moon.
- 12:00 – Welcome from BIS Italia’s very own Fabrizio Bernadini including a description of the Branches academic activities!
- 12:10 – The Pink Side of the Moon by Francesca Ingiosi
- 12:45 – Questions and Answers (we enable everyone’s microphone to allow an interactive Q&A session)
So, here’s the Plan/Joining Instructions!
- Register for the Talk using the link below
- Before the event, we will send you an email with the joining link for the meeting.
- On the day, click meeting link (and follow the on-screen instructions to install Zoom if prompted)
The Conference Call and Q & A sessions will be recorded (which may capture your name, picture, voice or video) and made available via the West Midlands Facebook group and possibly via the BIS HQ website. You consent to this by registering for the Conference Call/Q & A sessions.